Friday evening one of the elders from our church was preaching at a church up in Lawson, so Daniel, Bethany, and I went with a few other people from our church went up there with him. The theme of the evening was “Who Do You Say Jesus Is?” Although we were only able to stay for two of the sessions, because the last one didn’t end until quite late, we had a good time while we were there. We had the opportunity to meet people from a couple of other churches, and both of the messages we heard were very good. I thought I’d post my notes from the evening, so here they are…
Session 1: Ephesians
Who is Jesus?
Jesus is the only source of all
- Belonging – We are the Lord’s inheritance
- Life – Unbelievers are Spiritually dead.
– We must share the gospel with absolute dependence upon the Spirit of God.
- Peace – We are brought into fellowship with God, and made right with one another.
Also, He is our only
- Access to the Father
- Focus of our Faith
– Faith – Trust in God. Your faith is only as strong as the one you are trusting. As believers our life is to say, ‘I trust everything to Jesus Christ, without reservation or apology.
Does this all have any degree of impact on our lives? Yes! These things should completely change the way we live our lives, and Christ is always the focus.
- Security – we are secure in Christ
- We are on display – among those we live with and in the heavenly places before Christ.
- We are one with all other believers – live in a way that reflects this!
- New Humanity – we are no longer who we once were before salvation. We are now set apart from the rest of the world.
Jesus is our Lord, Savior, and Identity!
Session 2: Luke 4:16-30
Rejecting the True Christ is Foolish and Even Dangerous
If you reject God’s message and mercy, redemptive history moves on with out you.
- We must see that we are in desperate need of a Savior
– Ephesians 2, apart from God we are completely dead. We are sinners by nature – Children of wrath – destined for God’s wrath
- We must receive Jesus for who He truly is
Throughout the Bible He is described as:
– Son of God
– Radiance of God’s Glory
– Exact Representation of the Father
– Fulness of Diety in bodily form
– Fully man and fully God
– Suffering Messiah
– Fulfilment of Promises
– Son of David
– The One who is coming again. – He will then look like Who He truly is!
- We must hear this warning – ‘If you reject Jesus you may not ever get another opportunity’!
– Seek the Lord while He may be found.
– Stop being proud and self-sufficient.
– Flee to Christ, today! Trust in Christ, today, because tomorrow it may be too late.